MANDATE OF CRA
The Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA), is an independent Commission set up under Article 215 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010. Its core mandate is to recommend the basis for equitable sharing of revenues raised nationally between the national and the county governments, and among the county governments.
FUNCTIONS OF CRA
The functions of the Commission include:
1. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by national government between national and county governments.
2. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by national government among county governments.
3. Recommend on matters concerning the financing of both the national government and county governments.
4. Recommend on matters concerning financial management of both national and county governments.
5. Define and enhance revenue sources of national government.
6. Define and enhance revenue sources of count governments.
7. Encourage fiscal responsibility by national government.
8. Encourage fiscal responsibility by county governments
9. Be consulted and its recommendations considered before parliament passes any Bill appropriating money out of the Equalization Fund.
10. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with sharing of revenue.
11. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with any financial matter concerning county governments.
12. Publish and review the policy that sets out criteria for identifying marginalized areas in actualization of the equalization fund
13. Participation in meetings of the Commission for the implementation of the Constitution.
14. Be consulted and its’ recommendations considered by Parliament for all laws being enacted relating to devolved government.
Intergovernmental fiscal systems that contribute to the provision of equitable services through devolved government that promotes development in Kenya.
A highly respected provider of credible and impartial advice and recommendations on resource sharing and revenue generation
To achieve its mission and vision, the Commission is committed to the following:-