MANDATE OF CRA
The Commission on Revenue Allocation (CRA), is an independent Commission set up under Article 215 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010. Its core mandate is to recommend the basis for equitable sharing of revenues raised nationally between the national and the county governments, and among the county governments.
FUNCTIONS OF CRA
The functions of the Commission include:
1. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by national government between national and county governments.
2. Recommend the basis of equitable sharing of revenue raised by national government among county governments.
3. Recommend on matters concerning the financing of both the national government and county governments.
4. Recommend on matters concerning financial management of both national and county governments.
5. Define and enhance revenue sources of national government.
6. Define and enhance revenue sources of count governments.
7. Encourage fiscal responsibility by national government.
8. Encourage fiscal responsibility by county governments
9. Be consulted and its recommendations considered before parliament passes any Bill appropriating money out of the Equalization Fund.
10. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with sharing of revenue.
11. Be consulted on any Bill that includes provisions dealing with any financial matter concerning county governments.
12. Publish and review the policy that sets out criteria for identifying marginalized areas in actualization of the equalization fund
13. Participation in meetings of the Commission for the implementation of the Constitution.
14. Be consulted and its’ recommendations considered by Parliament for all laws being enacted relating to devolved government.
A trusted and effective adviser on equitable distribution of resources for rapid and balanced economic growth.
To make recommendations on equitable sharing of revenue, financing of, and financial management for both national and county governments.
To achieve its mission and vision, the Commission is committed to the following:-
- Equity – CRA will be guided by the spirit of fairness and inclusion.
- Teamwork – CRA will always encourage participation of all members of staff in its operations. CRA believes in people working together to achieve results.
- Excellence – CRA will maintain quality control and strive for the highest standards in all aspects of our work.
- Transparency – All service delivery and operations of the Commission will include citizen’s participation.
- Employee satisfaction – CRA will strive to attract and retain staff with high morale.
- Integrity – CRA staff will abide and uphold Chapter Six of the Constitution.